Many girls, first faced with vaginal candidiasis, are wondering: can thrush have an effect on menstruation and cause their delay?
Menstruation - this is bloody discharge from the female genital organs, resulting from the rejection of the epithelium from a non-fertilized egg.
The most common cause of delayed menstruation is pregnancy, but the absence of menstruation may be due to other factors, such as changes in hormonal levels, physical or emotional stress, as well as certain diseases and infections of the urinary system. But can thrush affect the monthly?
Thrush is a disease caused by a fungal infection, accompanied by itching in the perineum and cheesy discharge, often with a sourish odor.
Thrush to delay
If the thrush begins before the expected onset of menstruation, then the reasons for the appearance of pathology can be:
- stress, overwork and emotional stress,
- hypothermia urogenital system and the organism as a whole,
- sexual intercourse with an infection carrier (Candida fungus),
- violations of the personal hygiene of the genital organs,
- intolerance of the individual components that make up the intimate hygiene products.
At the same time, the thrush that started before the beginning of the monthly period cannot be the cause of their delay! But, during the period of treatment of thrush, the delay of menstruation is allowed in connection with the intake of antibiotics or antifungal drugs that can cause a shift in the menstrual cycle.
Simultaneous delay of menstruation and thrush
If the delay in menstruation begins simultaneously with the onset of thrush, then in 75% of cases, the main cause is the onset of pregnancy.
This is due to the fact that after the process of fertilization of the egg and its fixation on the wall of the uterus, the female body begins an active production of hormones. And any changes in the hormonal background in a woman can be both a cause of delayed menstruation and the appearance of vaginal candidiasis.
But in case of pregnancy, thrush can occur not earlier than in 1-2 weeksi.e. with the appearance of vaginal candidiasis at 2-3 days after unprotected intercourse, the cause of the pathology of pregnancy can not be. In this case, in addition to the pregnancy test, it is recommended to make an appointment with a doctor and pass the necessary tests to both sexual partners.
Other Causes of Monthly Delay and Thrush
- Thrush in young girls who have not yet had sexual relationships may begin due to hormonal adjustment of the body and its preparation for the start of the first menstrual cycle.
- In women over the age of 45, thrush and the absence of menstruation may indicate the onset of menopause.
In medical practice, there is a well-established view that thrush does not affect the monthly, their beginning or delay. Therefore, when detecting the first symptoms of vaginal candidiasis, it is recommended to visit a gynecologist. And in the case of a long delay of menstruation without any symptoms of diseases, the first thing is to do a pregnancy test.
[qalist list = ’kandidoz’ num = 5 title = ’Recent questions about candidiasis and thrush’]
Flow during menstruation
Thrush during menstruation complicates treatment, because at this time the discharge does not differ in appearance. Monthly with thrush may be longer, and the discharge becomes more abundant. Unpleasant sensations may increase. At this stage, it is necessary to restore the protective functions of the body and adhere to the correct diet, which includes in its daily diet of proteins, fresh vegetables and fruits, increasing the consumption of fermented milk products. It is necessary to limit the intake of spicy food and sweets. For the prevention of thrush during menstruation, you need to follow some rules. Out of clothes, you should prefer cotton underwear. Personal hygiene is very important. If you have menstrual periods with thrush, then you need to wash away as often as possible with warm boiled water (preferably with the addition of baking soda, as this will help relieve itching).
Thrush after menstruation is a fairly common phenomenon. This is mainly due to the use of tampons and sanitary pads, which are not made from natural fiber. Sometimes they add flavors, which include chemical components that can change the normal microflora of the vagina. The use of toilet soap for personal hygiene can also contribute to a change in pH, which leads to the growth of fungal bacteria. It is best to use special gels for intimate hygiene that will support the normal microflora of the vaginal walls.
Thrush after ovulation is the most common disease in gynecology.
During this period, the structure of the vaginal mucosa and its microflora changes. As the egg leaves the ovary, progesterone levels increase. This is a hormone that is responsible for preparing the female body for a possible pregnancy. Progesterone slows down the production of lymphocytes and leukocytes in the blood, resulting in a weakening of the body, and it ceases to fight pathogenic microorganisms, in this case, fungi of the genus Candida. Under the action of progesterone, the fungus deposits on the walls of the vaginal mucous membrane and penetrates it. Progesterone has another feature: it can increase the level of glycogen in the body. Increasing the level of glycogen is a very favorable environment for the development and growth of yeast-like fungi.
If during a period of ovulation a woman notices a cheesy discharge with a characteristic fermented milk smell, a feeling of itching and irritation in the genitals, you should not rely on the fact that these symptoms will pass by themselves. It is imperative to contact a specialist who will prescribe the correct individual treatment. It can be both local and systemic drugs. Be sure to follow the recommendations of the doctor. Otherwise, the unpleasant symptoms will last for several months, which in turn will lead to the emergence of a chronic inflammatory process.
How does thrush appear during menstruation?
Thrush during menstruation is quite common, since during the menstrual cycle in the microflora of the woman there is a favorable environment for the development of the disease. In order to solve the problem of candidiasis during menstruation, it is necessary to find out the reasons for its occurrence, and then choose methods of getting rid of the illness during menstruation.
When a woman starts menstruating, candidiasis at this point is exacerbated. One must be very careful that after the necessary treatment the disease does not reappear. Any reason that causes changes in the hormonal background, can lead to the fact that the treatment simply will not give a positive result. These reasons may be:
- taking drugs that contain antibiotics or hormones,
- beginning of pregnancy
- neglect of personal hygiene,
- use while bathing is not very clean water,
- poorly chosen underwear.
No matter how strange it may seem, spring or autumn may affect the appearance of candidiasis during menstruation. Candidiasis in a woman can manifest with various symptoms, sometimes it passes without any signs, but sometimes they are very unpleasant. Because of this, gynecologists strongly advise every woman to constantly undergo examinations. After all, if time to determine the appearance of the disease and prescribe the necessary treatment, it will allow to get rid of it much faster, and then forever. In parallel with candidiasis, other infectious diseases in the woman’s body can also occur.
Monthly with thrush, as a rule, occur with discomfort, namely:
- burning and itching of the genitals
- the appearance of light-colored cheesy discharge, accompanied by an unpleasant sourish smell,
- discomfort during urination,
- painful sensations during sex.
The appearance of thrush during menstruation confuses a woman because she does not know how to deal with such a situation: visit the gynecologist immediately before the onset of menstruation and start treatment, or wait until the menstrual period is over. In this case, the answer is only one: you should immediately consult a gynecologist. Treatment should begin immediately. After all, the unpleasant symptoms are hard to endure for several days.
How are thrush and menses combined?
The appearance of the disease during menstruation affects the structure of the discharge and can increase pain. As a rule, gynecologists choose a treatment that will be gentle for the patient and will help strengthen and restore the body and microflora of the woman. Particular attention at this point is paid to proper nutrition and the use of a significant amount of drinking water per day, as water allows for the removal of various disease-causing microbes.
How is thrush treated during menstruation?
How to treat thrush? Proper treatment of thrush during menstruation can only appoint a gynecologist. In this case, you should avoid self-treatment, as it can lead to a breakdown in the body, and candidiasis will become a chronic disease. Very often, women resort to traditional medicine, as they hope that it will cope better with the illness during menstruation than any medical preparations. But even if a woman prefers treatment with traditional medicine, then it is necessary to consult with your doctor. It is forbidden to use candles for thrush during menstruation. Do not despair, because now there are a large number of medicines that will cure the disease.
Usually, the treatment of thrush can be followed by several methods simultaneously:
- medicines, which, if necessary, may include antibiotics,
- ointment will allow you to get rid of the appearance of itching and burning of the genitals,
- bath reception.
The therapy ends with the stage of normalization of the vaginal microflora. It is very good if it will be after the completion of the menstrual cycle, since the treatment at this point will be positive, and may affect the fact that the disease will recede and will not return. After the completion of the menstrual cycle, it will be possible to prescribe a candle treatment.
Food for women during menstruation should be balanced and include vegetables, fruits, dairy products. On the day a woman needs to eat the necessary amount of protein, as this contributes to the normal functioning of the cells in the body.
Prevention of candidiasis during menstruation
Disease prevention includes the following rules. It is necessary to comply with all the requirements and prescriptions of the gynecologist, not only during treatment, but also after its completion.
It is necessary to strictly observe the rules of personal hygiene, regularly change personal hygiene products, especially during the menstrual period. It is preferable to wear underwear only from natural materials, which will not cause discomfort.
Properly selected underwear will avoid the ingress and development of various infections. It is necessary to maintain the microflora balance in the norm. Compliance with all rules and requirements will avoid the appearance of thrush during menstruation.
Candida is present in the body of almost any woman. If the immune system is at a high level, then the growth of the fungus is restrained both by the immune cells themselves and other microorganisms that are part of the microflora of the mucous membranes. The fall of the protective functions of the body and the violation of the parameters of the microflora cause the transition to bend in the list of pathogenic microorganisms. If we consider the relationship of thrush and menses, it is worth stating that menstruation can not cause the active growth of colonies of the fungus, but as a provoking factor is very significant.
The fact is that the outflow of menstrual blood creates a favorable environment for the development of a fungal disease. Monthly cause a change in hormonal levels, which in turn provokes a violation of the hormonal balance of the body. In the presence of a weakened immune system, it can activate the development of Candida.
Pads or tampons
A special role in the development of candidiasis is played by modern hygiene products that women use during menstruation. Gaskets or tampons not only absorb vaginal discharge, but also create a warm, moist environment - an ideal microclimate for the development of all sorts of microorganisms and bacteria. Not for nothing, gynecologists advise to update hygiene products every 3 hours - this allows you to get rid of microorganisms and pathogenic bacteria that begin to multiply at an accelerated rate in the absorbent layer of the pad. The following negative aspects, which are inherent in modern inexpensive hygiene products for the mass user, should also be noted:
- Pads use unnatural fibers,
- Flavors and fragrances are used,
- Chemical components are used,
- Women change their underwear less than once a day,
- Used aggressive compositions for intimate hygiene - a change in the alkaline balance of the mucous membrane provokes the active growth of colonies of the fungus.
In general, to reduce the likelihood of thrush, before menstruation, basic hygiene should be observed and, if possible, use natural materials for clothes and hygiene products.
What are the symptoms of thrush feels a woman before they go monthly:
At the first signs of the disease, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist and pass the analysis - during menstruation, it is useless to take tests, so you need to have time before the start of the menstrual cycle. If the disease is established, it is necessary to begin treatment - modern drugs can be applied on any day of the menstrual cycle, so there is no point in postponing therapy.
Can thrush affect the regularity / duration of menstruation?
The relationship between thrush and monthly, as well as the parameters of the menstrual cycle has not yet been established. If the disease is treated in a timely manner, then the woman may feel only mild discomfort, but the fungus can affect other organs. If the body is affected by the mycelium of the fungus, then the sensations that a woman experiences during menstruation may differ from the usual ones. In particular, candidiasis causes dysfunction of the ovaries, and also causes adhesions in the fallopian tubes, so that in the chronic form of the disease and extensive lesions of the body, menstruation can be more painful.
If the thrush is in a chronic stage, then a change in the microflora of the vagina during menstruation causes another exacerbation of the disease. A constant discomfort guarantees a nervous state, sleep disturbance and deterioration of health. Features of the development of thrush during menstruation
- Burning sensation when urinating,
- The increase in the abundance of vaginal discharge,
- Increased pain in the abdomen, lower back, etc.,
- Change of the menstrual cycle - the menstruation itself becomes longer,
- Itching that cannot be removed by local medicine
- Painful sensation during intercourse - this symptom persists after menstruation.
After the end of menstruation, the symptoms of thrush do not disappear. Moreover, itching and burning can cause reddening of the skin in the intimate area - irritation aggravates the discomfort.
Thrush and delayed menses
The tandem of symptoms of thrush and delayed onset of menstruation has several explanations. The correctness of the findings must be based on the age category of the weaker sex:
If a woman is in the so-called Balzac age, that is, she has reached 45-55 years old, then the delay in critical days can be caused by menopause. At this age, the woman is experiencing the latest hormonal adjustment, which is often accompanied by all sorts of fungal diseases. Not only Candida fungi activate their vital activity against the background of hormonal changes and reduced immunity, so that when menopause occurs, you should be prepared for surprises from your own body and support immunity,
- Taking drugs to get rid of fungal diseases can cause a delay in the onset of menstruation - if you stop taking the drugs, then the cause of the cycle oscillations is to be found in another industry,
- Pregnancy - this cause of delayed menstruation and manifested candidiasis raises no questions. At the same time, the appearance of thrush is associated with a decrease in the activity of the immune system and hormonal alteration of the body due to preparation for pregnancy and maintenance of the fetus. Организм беременной женщины ослабевает, он более уязвимым для болезней, так что кандиды активно размножаются, а задача женщины — вовремя заметить болезнь и приступить к лечению — даже легкая форма заболевания несет опасность для здоровья малыша. Выброс таких гормонов как прогестерон и гонадотропин обусловливают изменение гормонального фона, что может вызвать молочницу.So in case of delayed candidiasis, menstruation and the presence of unprotected sex, it is worthwhile to do a pregnancy test. By the way, during pregnancy, candidiasis appears only after a few weeks - during this time the fertilized egg is attached to the uterus and hormones begin to be produced. If the symptoms of candidiasis appear several days after unprotected sexual intercourse, this indicates infection from the sexual partner. It is necessary to consult a gynecologist for treatment, if possible by bringing the orchestra with you. Permanent sexual partners must be treated together, otherwise it will be ineffective - after taking the drugs, the disease will recur due to infection,
- The absence of menstruation and the presence of thrush speaks not only about possible pregnancy, but also about possible inflammatory processes in the body - serious diseases become the cause of this situation, so going to a doctor is a must.
Treatment of thrush during menstruation
If the results of the analysis on the fungus taken before the onset of menstruation, showed the presence of the disease, then treatment can be started without waiting for the end of the period of menstrual blood from the vagina. Moreover, the treatment must be started in a short time also because to stop the development of colonies of the fungus, so that the disease does not become a chronic condition, with which the cat may have various complications.
What could be the cause of delayed menstruation?
Before we begin to look for a close relationship between thrush and menstrual failures, we suggest identifying the main factors of why menstruation can not go.
It is possible that such violations in the female body are associated with:
- Pregnancy. In 99% of cases, menstruation stops immediately after conception,
- Heavy physical exertion. They can contribute to changes in the body, in particular - violations in the hormonal balance. Very often, professional athletes encounter such situations when preparing for important competitions,
- Psychological stress. General depressive state, constant tension and sometimes even abrupt, unplanned, a change of environment can become a kind of accelerator of the failure of the menstrual cycle (sometimes the delay is 10-12 days or more)
- Abuse of narcotic substances, alcoholic and tobacco products,
- Taking potent drugs
- Self-improper treatment of certain female ailments.
As we can see, there are quite a few explanations for the failure of the menstrual cycle. That is why, before you blame for the delay in menstrual thrush, you should make sure that your body really faces this unpleasant fungal disease. We will talk about the main nuances of candida development in the next section.
Thrush, its main symptoms and treatments
Thrush is quite easy to diagnose. Candidiasis has a number of symptoms that unmistakably indicate its development. Constant signs of a similar female disease are:
- Itching in the genital area. It is also sometimes possible unpleasant constant burning in the vagina,
- White cheesy discharge. Their appearance is usually observed after sleep. Sometimes they can be threadlike. Have an unpleasant sour smell,
- Pain during urination and sexual contact. With a strong lesion of certain parts of the vagina with a fungus, intimate closeness becomes impossible at all.
Recommended traditional methods of treatment, involving the use of infusions from a variety of herbs. As a rule, the affected areas of the vagina are treated with similar decoctions by douching.
If you carry out the procedure on an ongoing basis, then you can get rid of thrush in one to two weeks.
During treatment, sometimes there can be any metamorphosis in the general condition of the girl's body. That is why women often can hear the question - can there be a delay in the menstrual cycle due to thrush? To answer it, you should be familiar with what gynecologists think about this and the general course of the disease.
Can there be a delay in menstruation with thrush: the opinion of leading gynecologists
According to well-known experts, fungi, which are the cause of candidiasis, in 95% of cases can not cause disruptions in the menstrual cycle. However, nevertheless, categorically reject the relationship of such a fungal disease with delayed menstruation is not worth it.
The fact is that with thrush there is a sharp decrease in the body's defenses, and there are some changes in the hormonal balance. These factors, in turn, can be the reason that do not go monthly.
Also, delays can sometimes be explained using the same points that caused the fungus. They can be disorders in the endocrine system, frequent stressful situations, etc.
Directly thrush and delayed menstruation are associated only with advanced forms of the disease. In such a situation, pathogenic microorganisms begin to multiply not only in the vagina, but also in other organs of the female reproductive system. In some cases, thrush can develop on the ovaries, which almost always leads to a severe inflammatory process and menstrual disorders.
Is there a delay after thrush?
Some girls may have problems with menstruation after healing for thrush. The reason for the delay in menstruation in such cases may be medical drugs used in the fight against candidiasis.
However, such effects can be caused only by medicines and antibiotics, which have a very strong effect on the body. Among them is such a popular tool as fluconazole. Despite the fact that this drug is extremely effective (it can get rid of candidiasis in just a couple of days), its use is highly undesirable - it can cause the endocrine system to malfunction and contribute to menstrual irregularities.
In rare cases, the cause of the delay of menstruation are various herbal infusions that are used in home treatment of thrush (for example, chamomile decoction). If non-compliance with the general rules of conducting medical procedures (including douching), they can become a catalyst for the occurrence of various problems in the girl's body.
The main methods of prevention of thrush and delayed menstruation
Finally, let's talk about the main ways to prevent candidiasis. There are a number of simple rules, adhering to which, you can not worry about the development of thrush and problems with menstruation. We especially focus on the following points:
- Healthy way of life. Avoiding alcohol and tobacco will help you significantly reduce the risk of contracting thrush,
- Proper nutrition. Balanced intake of nutrients and microelements is the key to a stable cycle of menstruation and the prevention of candidiasis,
- The so-called "barrier" methods of contraception (for example, condoms, spirals, etc.) minimize the possibility of developing thrush,
- So that it does not come to a delay of menstruation, one should adhere to the basics of personal hygiene during menstruation, in particular, regularly change tampons and pads,
- Synthetics can be one of the main causes of infection with thrush, so when buying underwear, you should give preference to quality products made from natural materials (flax, cotton, etc.).
Even if these tips could not help and candidosis began to develop in your body, you should contact a qualified gynecologist as soon as possible. After examination, he will determine the stage of the disease and prescribe the necessary course of treatment. In no way should you neglect going to a doctor, because a disease that has passed into neglected form can be not only the cause of the delay of menstruation, but also of female infertility.