Menstruation during pregnancy is a pathological condition that can be caused by a number of factors. With the natural, normal course of pregnancy, menstruation stops immediately after fertilization of the egg. Monthly at the onset of pregnancy are a serious reason for carrying out a gynecological examination in order to exclude negative consequences and threats.
Can they go during pregnancy?
If the blood excretion occurs in a natural mode, without manifestation of severe pain, brown patches, severe deterioration of health, they should not cause great concern, since this fact can be explained and not dangerous for the fetus. Abundant periods during the first stages of pregnancy with acute pain in the lower pelvis, sacrum and lower back may indicate dangerous pathologies and the threat of losing a child.
In the very early stages of pregnancy, menstruation may occur, and a woman may not yet be aware of her condition. If the pregnancy is confirmed (test, examination by a gynecologist, ultrasound), but the menstruation has nevertheless begun, do not panic and worry right away. Monthly in the first month of pregnancy may be the norm in cases where they are not accompanied by additional negative symptoms.
If a woman is already aware of her condition, but at the same time she began her monthly pregnancy during an early period, it is better to be safe and consult a gynecologist. If the menstruation is very heavy, it can be bleeding, so do not wait for the appointment to see a doctor, you must call an ambulance as soon as possible. Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages can be both the norm and a sign of pathology and the threat of miscarriage. It can only be clarified by a specialist by inspection and special examination.
Why can go monthly during pregnancy in the early stages
There are a number of reasons why blood discharge can occur in early pregnancy:
- Menstruation in the usual form and mode with the onset of conception can go for a physiological reason - a short period of time between fertilization of the egg and the hormonal response of the body. Ovulation and the process of fertilization in women falls on the middle of the menstrual cycle - 7-15 days. Often, the endocrine system of a woman does not have time to react in time to the conception that has come.
- During pregnancy, there are menstrual periods due to hormonal imbalance, which should change immediately after conception. At the initial stage, the delay of the hormonal response to the fertilization of the egg can be normal. However, if during the development of pregnancy, the endocrine system does not produce enough progesterone, it can be a serious threat and cause of interruption. If in the first month of pregnancy in a woman at the beginning of the menstruation, bloody mucous discharge begins, accompanied by general malaise and pain, you should consult a doctor. A clear picture of the state of the hormonal background of a woman can be determined after examination and examination.
- Erroneously, menstruation can be taken implantational blood, triggered by damage to the endometrial vessels. Not all women do this, so many people don’t even know about this phenomenon. Within 7–10 days after conception, the blastocyst (fertilized egg) moves down the fallopian tube to the uterine cavity. The embryo is embedded in the lining of the uterus (endometrium) to gain a foothold in it. This process causes swelling and irritation of the mucous membrane, disrupting the integrity of the uterine capillaries.
- Often in the body fails, which leads to the release of two eggs at the same time. This often happens when taking medications that stimulate ovulation. When two eggs come out, one of them is fertilized and passes the natural way through the fallopian tube into the uterine cavity and is inserted into the endometrium, the second is rejected and leaves with menstrual blood. A similar situation can occur if the twins develop the wrong pregnancy, when two eggs are fertilized. If one of the embryos dies, and the second turns out to be viable, bleeding can be taken for menstruation, which takes the dead egg out of the body.
- With congenital and acquired disorders and abnormalities in the structure of the uterus, the menstrual cycle may continue, despite the occurrence of pregnancy. Such congenital anomalies include such anatomical disorders as a one-horned or two-horned uterus. Acquired pathologies include benign tumor neoplasms (fibroids, uterine fibroids, endometriosis). The preservation and development of such a pregnancy depends on many factors. With a single-horned and two-horned uterus, there is a high probability of preserving and safely completing a pregnancy with childbirth, but it requires close and constant supervision by specialists.
- One of the most dangerous causes of menstruation during pregnancy is ectopic pregnancy. When the fertilized egg moves through the fallopian tube, a violation may occur, due to which the embryo invades the tube wall. Thus, instead of the uterus, pregnancy begins to develop in the fallopian tube. Monthly with ectopic pregnancy can have a different nature - from brownish bloody spotting to heavy bleeding. Ectopic pregnancy is extremely dangerous, it can end with a ruptured tube, internal bleeding and subsequent inflammatory process. In this case, you need the help of a gynecologist. The choice of treatment for ectopic pregnancy is determined by many individual factors. It is possible to preserve and remove the fallopian tube, but the risk of recurrence remains.
- Spontaneous abortion or miscarriage is also accompanied by copious discharge of blood, similar to menstruation. Periodic cramping pains and bright scarlet color of discharge will be a characteristic feature of miscarriage. If a woman is aware of her pregnancy, you should call an ambulance. In clinical conditions, there is a likelihood of preserving pregnancy at the initial stage of bleeding.
How to distinguish between periods during pregnancy from normal
Typically, a woman's periods go according to a certain regimen - at first, the discharge comes out fairly plentifully, then their number and frequency decreases. When bleeding caused by certain problems, the appearance, texture, mode and duration of discharge differs from menstruation. The nature of the differences depends on the reasons for the selection:
- With a lack of progesterone, menstruation begins in the form of weak bleeding, at the initial stage they are accompanied by not intense pain in the pelvic region and groin. After a certain short time, the discharge intensifies until the bleeding, the pain becomes stronger and cramping.
- With increased secretion of androgens (hyperandrogeny) bleeding is accompanied by nagging pain in the lower pelvis and lower back.
- Implantation bleeding coincides with the start of the next menstruation, but differs from the menstruation by scarcity of discharge.
- With an ectopic pregnancy, blood discharge can begin immediately very abundantly and very intensively. Even if at the beginning of the discharge they are not distinguished by a large number, then soon the bleeding increases and is supplemented by acute severe pain in the lower abdomen.
If a woman knows about her pregnancy, but at the same time noticed even a small spotting on linen, you should immediately consult a doctor. The cause of menstruation during pregnancy in the early stages can be quite safe, but the likelihood of threatened abortion or its abnormal development can be excluded only with the help of a survey. Timely appeal to a specialist gives a chance to save the pregnancy.
In modern clinical gynecology, methods have been developed for treating virtually all pathological conditions that provoke bleeding during pregnancy. For example, the lack or excess of hormones is corrected with the help of drug therapy. The exception is ectopic pregnancy, which requires urgent medical, often surgical, intervention.
How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding
Suddenly begun menstruation in early pregnancy plunges many women into shock. Therefore, future moms have a lot of experiences and questions: whether periods during this period are possible, why early bleeding can occur and how dangerous it can be.
After all, it's no secret that bleeding occurs when normal or abnormal pregnancy is interrupted. Another cause may be cervical erosion, the mucosa of which may bleed due to increased blood flow.
Bleeding up to 12 weeks can be as smearing, scanty, and abundant, with the content of clots. Very often they are accompanied by pain sensations of varying intensity in the lower abdomen or lower back.
However, only on these grounds it is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis, since the manifestations of the same pathology are purely individual for each woman.
How to determine bleeding or menstruation?
Pregnancy excretions are slightly different in duration and consistency than during normal periods.
Unlike menstruation, when bleeding shorten the time between secretions (they can last from 10 days or more). At the same time there is a significant increase in blood volume and the development of anemia in a woman.
When it happens
The mismatch of terms according to the results of the examination, the ultrasound scan and the date of the last menstrual period always leads the doctor to the idea that in the early periods the woman had discharge, which she considered to be the regular “these days”. This happens, especially often in girls with irregular and deficient menstruation. Pregnancy is not always planned, and not everyone clings to the test for a delay of a day or two. The main reasons for such "monthly" following.
- Abnormal ovulation. According to classical ideas, the release of the egg from the ovary occurs in the middle of the cycle and is accompanied by abundant mucous secretions. In practice, this is not always the case. Often there is an early ovulation - on the third or fifth day of the cycle, later - on 21-25 or even double (at the beginning and at the end), all this leads to confusion among both the woman and the doctor, including with the gestational age. For example, when conceiving on the third day of the cycle of excretion of a bloody nature, there may still be two or three days. The woman is calm and believes that she is not pregnant. In fact, the fertilized egg is already actively developing. A similar picture when conceiving on the eve of menstruation. The fetal egg still does not have time to “swim” into the uterine cavity, and the endometrium can partially be torn off. She takes spotting for scanty periods.
- Anomalies of the structure of the genitals. Not always a woman knows that her uterus has features of development. For example, bipodalness (a vice in which there is no merging of the two primordia of the genital organs). As a result, not a whole uterus is formed, but two horns in the region of the organ bottom. The fetal vesicle is implanted in one place, and the other horn undergoes regular cyclical changes. It turns out that the woman is “in position”, and the fetal vesicle successfully develops in one half of the uterus, while the other “menstruates” at this time.
- Bleeding due to implantation. "Menstruation" in the first month of pregnancy may be due to the appearance of blood during the introduction of the chorion. The fetal vesicle seeks to get inside the uterus to calmly receive nutrients and develop further. During implantation, special enzymes are released that “dissolve” the vessels, allowing the chorionic villi to invade the endometrium. This may be accompanied by small bleeding, and sometimes even small clots.
- Ectopic pregnancy. Painful and scanty menstruation during pregnancy should always be alarming about the abnormal location of the fetal bladder. Ectopic pregnancy occurs even in perfectly healthy women. Until the sixth and seventh day of gestation, the fetal vesicle may normally be located outside the uterus (“wander”). Fixed in the fallopian tube, on the ovary or even on the intestinal loops (extremely rare, but it happens), the embryo begins to develop. But the uterus remains empty and the endometrium is gradually rejected, which manifests itself in varying degrees of severity and color of bleeding.
- Risk of miscarriage. More often "monthly" during pregnancy occur due to threatening spontaneous miscarriage. In this case, the difference in the amount of discharge may be minimal. The condition is accompanied by nagging pain, nausea and other symptoms. In addition to the threat of a normal pregnancy, the signs of a non-developing pregnancy can proceed in this way.
- Abnormal implantation of chorion. Low placentation is a risk factor for the development of bleeding that can threaten a woman’s life. Most often, this condition causes abundant "monthly" during pregnancy. This is due to the fact that the chorionic villi begin to be introduced in those parts of the uterus that are not intended for this, for example, in the area of the cervix.
- Hemorrhoids. Hormonal background at the beginning of pregnancy can provoke an exacerbation of this pathology with the appearance of bloody discharges of varying intensity from the nodes. Sometimes they are so abundant that they can be taken as the beginning of menstruation.
Determination of hormones in urine and blood
It is important to do a routine urine pregnancy test by purchasing it at a pharmacy. This is the most affordable and safe method that you can easily perform at home. But a negative test is not an indication of lack of pregnancy. In the early stages it is not always informative. For a more reliable determination, it is recommended to pass a blood test to the level of human chorionic gonadotropin, which from 10 days after fertilization shows the correct result. If it is negative, there was no conception, if it was positive, it was.
Pregnancy in many women is accompanied by other signs. The main ones are as follows:
- nausea, vomiting in the morning,
- hypersensitivity to odors
- breast engorgement,
- sensitization of the nipples and breast areola,
- mood changes - swings or tearfulness,
- the appearance of weakness, fatigue.
If pregnancy is the cause of abnormal discharge, these symptoms will also persist.
By the nature of the discharge
In most cases, the discharge, which can be taken for "menstruation" during pregnancy, are of an unusual nature, which is why they raise doubts and suspicions in a woman. But the reviews confirm the fact that, with normally poor monthly periods, women often do not notice the difference. However, you should pay attention to such moments:
- if the discharge is minor,
- if they last a day or two
- if you started earlier, for example, for a week,
- if they are unusually abundant and clotted,
- if appeared after the delay.
If in doubt: an action algorithm
If the “interesting situation” is not excluded, and at the same time there is a spotting, you should go to the doctor. In no case should not think of folk remedies or take pills in order to enhance menstruation and cause an abortion as a continuation of the miscarriage.
It is also best not to try to stop bleeding with herbs or medicines. This will not help stop the discharge, but may adversely affect the health of the woman and the fetus. The correct sequence of actions is as follows.
- Recall the date of the last menstruation. This will help to understand whether this is bleeding or pregnancy is not excluded.
- Make a urine pregnancy test. Even a weak second strip is a positive result.
- Recall possible provocateurs. There may have been sexual contact, stress, or exercise that may cause discharge.
- Run an ultrasound. It is necessary to do this only if there is a vaginal discharge, and nothing else bothers, and after that you should consult a doctor already with the result of the examination, which will facilitate the diagnosis.
- Go to the hospital. If the discharge is abundant or abdominal pain is present, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Under normal general well-being, an appointment should be made as soon as possible (within two to three days).
The question of whether menstruation can go during pregnancy can be answered unequivocally: gestation and the usual cycle of menstruation are two contradictory concepts. Any bleeding during gestation is a pathology that requires medical observation and treatment. Поэту при любых сомнениях в собственном состоянии следует обратиться к врачу.
In the early stages
Месячные при беременности на ранних сроках могут быть как скудными, так и обильными. Прежде всего, их характер зависит от состояния гормональной системы женщины. They may appear in the first month, and the whole subsequent period of the regula should not disturb the future mother. Otherwise, you need to find out why menstruation continues.
Often, periods in early pregnancy can be caused by:
- Beginning spontaneous miscarriage. In this case, the intensity of the regulation may be different (both abundant and light). The color of the discharge is mostly scarlet. There may be pains of the cramping type in the lower abdomen. The most disappointing forecast for monthly in the first month. Pregnancy in this case is rarely preserved.
- Ectopic pregnancy. In this case, the regulae are usually dark brown in color, scarce, complicated by severe pain in the left or right parts of the iliac region.
- Diseases or abnormal structure of the uterus. It is a single-horned, two-horned, pediatric or saddle-shaped uterus. With this diagnosis, the woman will not be able to bear the fetus, since the embryos are attached in places where the blood supply is very poor or completely absent.
- A missed or undeveloped pregnancy. Most often, the embryo stops developing or completely dies during the first decade of pregnancy. The cause may be increased uterine tone or complex hereditary pathology.
- Hernia or cervical infectious diseases. The latter are usually caused by chlamydia.
- Placental detachment. With such a pathology, the “children's place” departs from the walls of the uterus, and the blood, which is released at the same time, leaves through the genital ducts.
- Placental previa. If the placenta is too close to the fallopian pharynx, the growing fetus causes bleeding, mistaken for menstruation.
- Benign neoplasms of myometrium and endometrium, endometriosis. With fibromyoma, polyps in the uterus, cysts, myoma, bleeding occurs quite often. Taking them for periods, future mothers may unknowingly ignore the first signs of pregnancy, which cause very serious problems.
Heavy or scanty bleeding can also occur in a woman due to stress, overexertion, a cold, and several other causes. To avoid serious consequences, you must always keep a calendar of menstruation, monitor the general condition of the body, listen to even the smallest signals.
On late terms
If a woman has bloody discharge in the last months of pregnancy, this can be a great danger for both the baby and the future mother. Monthly at this period is qualified as prenatal pathological bleeding. The factors by which they are caused can be completely different.
The most common reasons for which bleeding occurs in the second and third trimester may be the following:
- Placental presentation, which is observed in about 0.5% of future mothers. Pathology involves blocking the entrance to the cervix and most often occurs in patients who have previously done a cesarean section or abortion.
- Placenta rejection. This diagnosis is heard by approximately 1% of pregnant women in the later periods. At risk - women who suffer from hypertension.
It is not uncommon for a woman who stays at 6-9 months of pregnancy, noticing blood on the lining, mistakenly believes that menstruation has arrived. Ignoring the signal given by the body is very dangerous. The girl should immediately call the doctor, waiting for him only in the supine position.
Danger and complications of menstruation during pregnancy
From the first day of pregnancy, a woman begins to bear responsibility not only for herself, but also for that still very helpless little organism. Therefore, the expectant mother is obliged to very carefully monitor their health and respond to the slightest changes in their condition. Any, even the most meager and painlessly critical days, in the early stages can be:
- cause of miscarriage that treatment in most cases can not be,
- a signal to stop the development of the fetus,
- an indicator of incipient septic or hemorrhagic shock, other dangerous infectious complications.
From the foregoing, it is not difficult to conclude how dangerous the bleeding is at various stages of pregnancy. Moreover, the menace itself is not the threat, but the reasons why they are caused. But, as medical practice shows, there are from this statement and happy exceptions, when the regulations are not evidence of a serious pathology.
As mentioned above, it is very easy to confuse menstruation with bleeding. It is important for women to pay attention to the alarming signals of the body. Danger to the fetus and future mother are regula during pregnancy, which are accompanied by:
- severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, excessive salivation,
- dizziness, migraine, weakness, fainting,
- increased heart rate
- blanching of the skin,
- increase or decrease in temperature.
If these symptoms are present, it is very important to determine in time whether they are a signal of hormonal disturbances in the woman or act as evidence of another serious pathology.
It is obvious that at the first occurrence of discharge, a pregnant woman should contact a gynecologist. Attempts to stop the bleeding by yourself with the help of medicines or folk recipes are fraught with serious problems and miscarriage as well.
When detecting bleeding, the expectant mother needs to ensure complete rest. It is recommended to immediately go to bed and wait for the doctor or emergency team. Further, the gynecologist, depending on the situation, will prescribe a diagnosis to establish an accurate diagnosis. The following studies may be conducted:
- test for determining the level of human chorionic gonadotropin,
- Ultrasound to determine the presence of the ovum in the uterus,
- general and biochemical blood tests,
- hysterosalpingography, etc.
Also, the attending physician will be able to advise which other specialist to contact. For example, in case of a hormonal failure, consultation of an endocrinologist may be required. If a woman has problems with blood pressure, you probably need to be examined by a therapist. If there is a malfunction in the work of the heart, a cardiologist can prescribe the correct treatment.
To understand it, you need to clearly understand how menstruation takes place in the female body. In medicine, they are often called regullami, since the monthly - a regular phenomenon. Bleeding is accompanied by rejection of the mucous membranes of the uterus. The main reproductive female organ gets rid of the endometrial functional layer only if there is no need for it - there is no pregnancy.
Typically, a woman’s menstrual cycle after puberty lasts 28 days. However, longer and shorter cycles (20-21 days or 34-35 days) are also considered perfectly normal, provided that they are regular. The first day of menstruation - the beginning of a new menstrual cycle. At the end of the physiological bleeding, the follicular phase begins.
The ovary matures in the ovaries, which is to emerge from the follicle approximately in the middle of the cycle. When the follicle becomes large, under the action of specific hormones, its rupture occurs, the egg cell enters the ampullary part of the fallopian tube. This process is called ovulation. If on the day of ovulation or a day later the egg cell encounters the male reproductive cell, the sperm cell, then conception and the onset of pregnancy are likely.
If conception does not occur, the egg cell dies 24-36 hours after it leaves the follicle. The villi inside the fallopian tube push it into the uterine cavity. The mucous membranes of the reproductive organ thicken under the action of progesterone from the moment of ovulation. The functional layer is necessary so that the fertilized egg can be fixed in it. If a dead egg descends into the uterus, the progesterone level decreases in about a week. The luteal phase of the menstrual cycle (its second half) ends.
The unclaimed physiological layer of the endometrium of the uterus begins to reject - menstruation begins, and at the same time the next menstrual cycle.
If conception took place, the level of progesterone remains high. Approximately 8-9 days after ovulation, the fertilized egg, passing through the fallopian tube, enters the uterus, is introduced into the endometrium that is loose and “prepared” for implantation. The hormone hCG begins to be produced, for which the chorionic villi are responsible after successfully fixing the ovum. Chorionic gonadotropin stimulates the additional production of progesterone. "Fit" hCG, progesterone is not reduced. Rejection of the endometrial layer does not occur. Monthly does not occur.
Menstrual blood is called blood very conditionally, because it does not have the ability to clot. In fact, during menstruation, the menstrual fluid is secreted from the woman’s genitals, which is only partially composed of blood and the membranes of the uterus. In addition to them, in the fluid is determined mucus secreted by the cervix, the liquid secret of the vaginal glands, a number of enzymes that do not allow the bloody fluid to clot.
The average amount of menstrual fluid per cycle is about 50-100 milliliters. There are less and more abundant periods. However, the volume of fluid lost less than 50 ml or more than 250 ml is considered a sign of pathology - such a woman should definitely be examined and find out the causes of the violation.
Are there any after conception?
By nature itself everything is provided so that after conception, if it took place, there were no menstruation. From the point of view of physiology, the onset of menstrual bleeding becomes completely impossible, but in practice anything can happen, because this is not about a machine or a mechanism, but about a living human body.
It is no coincidence that some women, when referring to a gynecologist, claim that they came for the first time only because other symptoms of pregnancy appeared - their breasts increased, their weight began to grow, and some even had the first fetal movements. In fact, during the first trimester, these women continued with monthly bleeding, which they took for menstruation. In the people before about such "monthly" against the background of pregnancy they said that "the fetus washes."
What really happens? From the point of view of medicine, there is a small chance that in the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle in a woman, not one, but two or three eggs will mature. Their release of their follicles will not necessarily be simultaneous. Imagine that one egg came out, “waited” for a day and died without meeting the spermatozoon. She sinks into the womb. In the body, processes begin prior to normal menstruation.
But the second egg may well be fertilized. As long as it moves into the uterine cavity through the tube (this is about 8 days), menstruation may well begin due to the death of the first egg. However, such periods will be significantly different from normal. A woman can pay attention to the fact that the discharge, although it came on time, was more scarce, did not last 6 days, as usual, but only 3-4 days or less.
It must be said that this is the only more or less explainable and logical reason for the onset of menstrual discharge during pregnancy in the earliest terms. In a month, in such circumstances, periods will not come, as the pregnancy will already develop in full swing.
Women claiming to have monthly periods every month until the end of 3-4 months are wrong. Even if they had menstrual bleeding in the first month because of the second egg, in the following months it was not a matter of menstruation, but of the pathologies of pregnancy - the threat of miscarriage, hormonal disorder or other causes.
Sometimes, gynecologists do recognize that a woman may have a bloody daub in the days when her period began before the onset of pregnancy. The reason for this phenomenon is not fully understood, and experts are inclined to believe that the hormonal memory of the body is to blame. In fairness it should be noted that such a phenomenon in practice is very rare - about 0.5-1% of cases.
They speak about secretions of unclear etiology if a complete and detailed examination of a pregnant woman does not reveal the slightest disturbance in her condition - the woman is healthy, there is no threat of miscarriage, placenta previa, the balance of hormones is normal, the fetus is healthy and develops according to the gestational period.
Usually such unexplained secretions pass by the end of the first trimester and do not return to the birth. Given the rarity of this phenomenon, you should not especially expect that the bleeding that appeared in the early stages is just such a harmless and mysterious menstrual-like bleeding. Most often the reasons are completely different, more dangerous and threatening.
To answer the main question of this article - can there be menstruation in the early stages, you need to clearly understand that in 99% of cases this can not be. And only in rare cases can there be menstrual bleeding (not menstruation!) Due to the second egg cell. In all other cases, the appearance of bleeding is an alarming symptom that has nothing to do with the variants of the physiological norm.
Progesterone hormone deficiency
With a reduced level of progesterone in women are observed following symptoms: headache, fatigue, irritability, swelling of the chest and abdomen, weight gain up to 4 kg and more, pain during menstruation.
Progesterone doctor called pregnancy hormone. It secretes the corpus luteum, but when conception does not occur, the corpus luteum dies, menstruation begins within twelve or fourteen days.
When pregnancy occurs, the corpus luteum produces progesterone up to 16 weeks, then the placenta itself begins to produce hormones. In the normal course of pregnancy, progesterone should increase.
Reducing its level can lead to abortion and early miscarriages, so pregnant women are immediately prescribed medication.
The first symptoms of insufficient progesterone levels during pregnancy - This is the appearance of bleeding, weak pain in the lower abdomen. These symptoms are often pregnant women do not pay special attention. But after a while, severe bleeding begins, which is accompanied by cramping attacks, and a spontaneous miscarriage occurs.
Implant bleeding is not a universal phenomenon and is not common to all. But if it happens, then there is nothing dangerous in it. Selections of a blood-like or spotting nature may appear about a week after ovulation, when a fertilized egg reaches the uterine cavity. Usually, a woman who does not realize that conception could happen is surprised and thinks that her period for some reason just came ahead of time for about a week.
In fact, the blastocyst is introduced into the functional layer of the endometrium of the uterus. During this process, the integrity of the layer is broken and possible small bleeding. Such secretions are usually scanty, they are not accompanied by pain. The color of the discharge can be from creamy pink to pronounced bloody. The amount of discharge is small. Usually, implantation bleeding lasts from several hours to a couple of days, not more.
Tests will show pregnancy in about ten days, and a blood test for hCG will determine it in three to four days after a strange and untimely “smear”.
Implantation bleeding does not affect the development of pregnancy, the fetus and the health of the future mother does not harm. For many women, it does not occur at all, or scanty discharge goes unnoticed.
The cause of bloody discharge, including in the days in which the woman had previously been menstruating, may be a shortage of the hormone, progesterone, which is important for carrying a child. A sufficient level of this hormone is needed to prevent another menstruation while the woman is carrying the baby. In addition, progesterone suppresses the mother's immunity, provides nutritional reserves for the baby, maintains smooth muscles of the uterus in a calm state, preventing the tone and hypertonia of the uterine muscles.
The cause of the shortage of progesterone most often are the pathologies of the corpus luteum of the ovaries, chorion, chronic diseases of the kidneys and liver, the thyroid gland, pituitary disorders, and gynecological inflammatory diseases of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and endometrium. Previously performed abortions are another reason for which, during a desired pregnancy, the pathological lack of progesterone can be absent.
The cause of bloody discharge may be due to the lack of the hormone hCG. If it is not enough, then stimulation of progesterone production will be insufficient. Hormonal bleeding very often leads to spontaneous abortion if left unattended. Однако при своевременном обращении к врачу женщине назначается лечение гормональными средствами – препаратами прогестерона, таким образом дефицит этого важнейшего вещества удается ликвидировать.When such a problem occurs, hormonal treatment is usually prescribed for a long course, up to the 16-18 week of pregnancy, when the risk of miscarriage is considered less likely.
Hormonal secretions can be different in intensity, color and duration. What they are depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. Most often, women complain of the appearance of bloody red or brownish secretions with mucus, but pink and bright orange discharge are also characteristic of the pathology.
The more abundant the discharge, the more likely the adverse outcome. When blood clots appear in them, it is often a question of a miscarriage that has begun.
Additional symptoms - pulls the lower abdomen, aching lower back, there is a weakness and deterioration of health. Such signs are not always observed, sometimes the only sign of hormonal deficiency is abnormal discharge from the genital organs.
Can menstruation occur in early pregnancy?
Monthly and the period of carrying a child are mutually exclusive states. To understand what changes occur in the body of a woman during fertilization, it is necessary to recall the course of school anatomy.
The uterus inside is lined with a thin layer of cells that has a good blood supply. At the beginning of the cycle, the endometrium is poorly developed, but gradually increases under the influence of female sex hormones. Its main task is to ensure the normal attachment of the fetus. Therefore, by the time the egg is ready for fertilization and goes into the uterus, the endometrium reaches its maximum thickness.
If the woman is not pregnant, the hormones change. Biologically active substances contribute to the rejection of the endometrium, at the same time, nearby vessels are damaged, leading to bleeding.
Menstruation cannot occur when the egg is fertilized. The inner layer of the uterus only grows, providing further attachment and feeding of the fetus.
The answer to the question of whether the appearance of menstruation during pregnancy in a woman in the early stages is possible is simple. No impossible. A detachment of the endometrium would occur with the embryo, and as a result, a miscarriage. In a healthy organism, the inner layer is not able to reject in the presence of the fetus. Therefore, bleeding has no relation to menstruation.
Every fifth woman has bleeding, especially in the early stages of pregnancy. They may resemble menstruation: start in the same period, last for the same amount of time, which is often misleading. In any case, it is not menstrual blood. To find out the cause of this condition, you must go to the hospital, because there is a threat to the unborn child.
Discharges do not always indicate a serious pathology. If the amount of blood is small, the duration does not exceed several days, this may be the result of physiological changes in the body.
The most common causes of bleeding include:
- The period of implantation. By the beginning of the second week, the fertilized egg is attached to the endometrium, which may be accompanied by rupture of small vessels, bleeding. The amount of discharge is small, duration - 1-2 days. Read more about how to distinguish implantation bleeding from menstruation →
- The simultaneous maturation of two eggs can lead to the fact that one of them is implanted, and the other goes out with bloody secretions.
- There is a small percentage of cases when fertilization occurred just before menstruation. The woman's body does not have time to restructure, the delay arises for the next month.
- After intercourse or examination of the gynecologist contact bleeding begins. The mucous layer of the vagina, cervix becomes more sensitive, better blood supply. As a result of minor injuries during sex or gynecological examination, vessels burst, which leads to the release of a few milliliters of dark blood.
When menstruation during pregnancy is not the norm
A spotting or heavy menstruation at an early gestation period may indicate serious irregularities in a woman’s body. Therefore, bleeding during the period of childbearing is a reason to consult a doctor. With the help of additional research methods, the gynecologist assesses the condition of the fetus, prescribes appropriate treatment.
The most common causes of bleeding in women in the early stages include:
- Ectopic pregnancy.
- The threat of abortion.
- Hormonal disorders - an excess amount of androgens (male hormones) or progesterone deficiency.
After fertilization, the embryo should be fixed in the uterus. There is a possibility that the embryo is implanted elsewhere: in the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and peritoneum. In this case, an ectopic pregnancy develops. Until a certain stage, the fruit is formed normally. But as soon as its size increases, the fallopian tubes rupture, which is accompanied by bleeding. Additionally, there is pain in the abdomen, as a rule, on the one hand, nausea, palpitations. Read more about ectopic pregnancy →
Menstruation during early pregnancy is the main symptom of miscarriage. Along with the blood come out small clots - parts of the ovum. One of the most common causes of embryo detachment are genetic mutations. This is a kind of natural selection. In most cases, the fetus has serious structural anomalies that are incompatible with life.
Hormonal disorders, tumor diseases of the uterus, infections can trigger the appearance of bleeding. Therefore, before planning a pregnancy, it is necessary to undergo a thorough examination by a gynecologist, to cure all diseases.
Is it dangerous?
Allocations that resemble menstruation should alert the future mother. They indicate that the body has failed, because during the normal course of pregnancy there are no bleeding. It is a mistaken opinion that menstruation will pass on its own, you can not go to the doctor.
There is a big threat to the unborn baby. Under the guise of the usual monthly ectopic pregnancy may be hiding, miscarriage. In the event of bloody discharge from the vagina during pregnancy, it is not possible to postpone the visit to the doctor. It is recommended to call an ambulance, as soon as possible to be examined.
The woman is also in danger. Excessive bleeding leads to the development of anemia. There is weakness, drowsiness, dizziness. As a result, the fetus does not receive enough oxygen, there is a risk of hypoxia, child death.
When ectopic pregnancy tube rupture is accompanied by a massive hemorrhage into the abdominal cavity. This is an acute surgical pathology. The woman has a sharp pain in the abdomen, pallor, cold sweat, loss of consciousness is possible. To prevent this, it is necessary at the first manifestations to visit a doctor.
How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding
Bleeding may occur in the same period as menstruation.
There are some features when an immediate medical consultation is indicated:
- Selections appear a few days earlier than usual.
- Scanty monthly during pregnancy in the early stages should be alerted. This may be several blood stains, or their duration does not exceed 1-2 days.
- The color is different - from dark, brown to light pink.
- Scarlet blood indicates damage to the arteries.
- Heterogeneous lumpy discharge occurs due to miscarriage, when parts of the ovum leave.
The presence of anxiety symptoms is an unfavorable sign of the so-called menstruation during early pregnancy.
In the event of vaginal discharge in the period of carrying a child, it is necessary to monitor the amount of blood. One way is to calculate how much hygiene products are used per day, and compare with previous months. If the number of pads is much greater, there is a risk of anemia. Abundant menstruation due to the fact that during pregnancy increases blood flow in the uterus. Any damage to the vessels, endometrium, accompanied by significant secretions.
A woman loses with blood the iron that is part of hemoglobin. The unborn child does not receive enough oxygen, which leads to hypoxia. Prolonged bleeding can result in missed abortion.
Abundant secretions also affect the state of the mother. The pallor of the skin, constant weakness and drowsiness caused by oxygen starvation of the brain attracts attention. A compensatory heartbeat occurs, respiratory rate increases. In severe cases, possible loss of consciousness.
In the body of a woman increases the level of male sex hormones, violated hormonal balance. Such a violation leads to the fact that the ovum is not retained in the uterus. There is an abortion in the early stages.
There are bloody discharge, accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, lower back. At the same time, all indirect signs of pregnancy are weakened - breast engorgement and manifestations of early toxicosis.
but not all pregnanciesthat were accompanied by the development of hyperandrogenism, ended in miscarriage. The timely detection and treatment of this pathology gives a chance to normally endure and give birth to a long-awaited child.
Incorrect egg attachment
In very early pregnancy, this pathology can also become one of the causes of bleeding.
In the presence of chronic inflammatory processes, thinned areas of the uterus, adhesions, the probability of improper attachment of the egg is very high, because it attaches to healthy areas without damage.
Such plots are usually are located in the lower part of the uterusthat in the future may lead to a low location of the placenta, placenta previa, or the attachment to its neck.
With such pathologies, bleeding occurs, and with cervical pregnancy, excessive bleeding, which may result in the removal of the uterus.
Such a pregnancy, unlike a normal one, does not develop in the uterus itself, but in its tubes. This may be due to their partial patency or obstruction, due to which the fertilized egg cannot enter the uterine cavity.
Inflammation of the appendages, pelvic organs, sexually transmitted infections - All this may be the cause of ectopic pregnancy. In case of painful sensations, in order to avoid rupture of the fallopian tube and the development of peritonitis, pregnant women should immediately seek medical attention.
Bubble skid - pathology of the ovum, which is characterized by the rebirth of chorionic villi in bubbles filled with liquid. Due to the very rapid proliferation of these bubbles, the uterus is rapidly increasing and its size does not correspond to the real term.
Discharges during the blistering - plentiful, liquid, dark color, they contain bubbles rejected from the walls of the uterus. This disease is treated only by surgery.
The delay of the menstrual cycle is considered to be the main sign of pregnancy. But there are also “critical days” during pregnancy.
In the early stages, on the very days when menstruation seems to begin, spotting appears. This phenomenon is called the doctor "Ablution of the fetus" which is typical for pregnancy up to 12 weeks. It is observed in every fifth pregnant woman, doctors do not consider this a pathology.
But there are inconveniences to accurately determine the duration of pregnancy. If menses were short and less abundant, if nausea, drowsiness, dizziness appeared There is a reason to do a pregnancy test, perhaps all these are signs of ablution of the fetus. When the fact of pregnancy is confirmed, and there were bleeding, you must consult a doctor.
Monthly through the fetus
In this case, the fertilized egg exfoliates from the uterine wall. The reason for this may be:
- insufficient progesterone production
- excess levels of male sex hormones (the appearance of hyperandrogenism),
- ectopic pregnancy,
- improper attachment of the egg.
This phenomenon occurs at the time of penetration of a fertilized egg in the wall of the uterus. In many cases, passes unnoticed, but there are insignificant secretions over several hours, in exceptional cases - several days.
Similar bleeding refers to the early signs of pregnancy, even before the delay of menstruation or the use of the test. This is normal for a beginning pregnancy, but the main thing is not to confuse implant bleeding with other types of bleeding.
Any intervention in a woman's body is fraught with negative consequences, and one of the main indicators of health status is the menstrual cycle. For example, the monthly after laparoscopy will show how well the operation went.
Not always bleeding is menstruation, in some cases - are signs of ovulation in women. Read more here.
I am pregnant, but I have a period - what does it mean?
As mentioned above, pregnant women can not go monthly. But instead they may appear bloody vaginal discharge, reminiscent of menstruation. Such discharge can go as abundantly as menstruation and last for as many days as it may mislead you. Nearly one in four pregnant women may have a spotting in the early part of their pregnancy.
How to distinguish regular menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy?
The difficulty lies in the fact that bleeding can come on the same days when menstruation should begin, can be the same as during menstruation, and even last as many days as menstruation. Therefore, if you had unprotected sexual intercourse, or errors in taking birth control pills, the arrival of menstruation on the scheduled days does not guarantee that you are not pregnant. In any case, you need to do a pregnancy test.
This time the periods were not the same as usual. Does this mean I'm pregnant?
If you live sexually, and in particular, you are not protected, then any change in the nature of menstruation may indicate that you are pregnant. The probability of pregnancy is quite high if:
- Monthly arrived earlier by 2-7 days than scheduled
- Menstruations were not as abundant as usual (fewer washers left)
- Menstruation had an unusual color (pink, light brown, brown, black)
- Monthly lasted less days than usual
Important: interrupted sexual intercourse, when the partner does not put on a condom, but before ejaculation removes the sexual organ from the vagina, is not a reliable means of protection from pregnancy and is equal to unprotected sex. That is, you can become pregnant as a result of PPA.
Pregnancy test shows two strips, but I came monthly. What does it mean?
If the test shows two strips or a blood test for hCG confirmed pregnancy, then there is a pregnancy and the appearance of smears still does not cancel the test or test results.
Every fourth woman in the early stages of pregnancy appear bloody discharge from the vagina. In about half of these women, the bleeding does not threaten pregnancy and does not suggest that something is wrong. But in the other half, bleeding is a sign of ectopic pregnancy or missed abortion and miscarriage. That is why you need to carefully consider these secretions and consult a gynecologist to make sure everything is in order.
When bleeding during pregnancy is not dangerous?
Spotting in early pregnancy is not as rare as it may seem at first glance. Many women turn to a gynecologist about this. Sometimes these secretions do not threaten pregnancy and are associated with changes in the body during pregnancy:
- Implant bleeding
- Spotting associated with sexual intercourse
- Spotting associated with examination by a gynecologist
What is implant bleeding?
Implant bleeding occurs in approximately 20-30% of pregnant women. Implantation is the process of attaching an embryo to the wall of the uterus.
During the implantation process, the blood vessels of the uterus can be damaged, which leads to the appearance of spotting vaginal discharge of varying degrees of intensity. Sometimes it's just a few pink spots on the panties, sometimes it's dark spotting that lasts for several days.
I have scant spotting, and now I feel that my period should come
If you are planning a pregnancy and suspect that the bleeding may be implant bleeding, then do not worry if you have symptoms of the onset of menstruation (pulling pain in the lower abdomen, breast swelling). The early signs of pregnancy are very similar to the early signs of menstruation, so you still have a chance to be pregnant. Чтобы узнать наверняка, есть ли беременность, сдайте анализ крови на ХГЧ. Этот анализ можно сдать уже через 11 дней после незащищенного полового акта.But a pregnancy test here will not help - it is too early to do it.
I am pregnant and after sex I had menstruation (bloody, brown discharge). Is it dangerous?
Classic sex during pregnancy is not dangerous and can not cause miscarriage. However, after sexual intercourse, you may experience a brownish discharge.
This discharge is due to the fact that the vagina and cervix are much more abundantly supplied with blood during pregnancy. Because of the increased blood flow, the mucous membrane of the vagina and cervix becomes more sensitive to various stimuli, including sex. As a result of minor and non-hazardous damage to the mucous membrane, you may experience bleeding after intercourse. As a rule, such discharge is not dangerous, and yet, you need to consult a gynecologist.
What should be done in this situation?
If you have bleeding during sex, you should stop having sex and refrain from sex until you go to a gynecologist. Resume sex life will be possible if your gynecologist does not detect any abnormalities.
Use the pads: they will help you understand how much blood has come out of the vagina and determine the color of the blood. Your gynecologist will certainly take an interest in these moments and it will be very good if you can answer his questions.
Do not use tampons and do not insert anything into the vagina at all.
Contact your doctor immediately if, in addition to bleeding, you have lower abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting, dizziness or fainting, as well as discharge with clots or pieces of tissue.
I am pregnant and after examining the gynecologist, I had menstruation (bleeding). Is it dangerous?
Examination in the gynecological chair, and especially the collection of smears during the examination, can easily provoke bleeding in the early stages of pregnancy. As a rule, these secretions are not dangerous.
What should be done in this situation?
Refrain from sex for the time of these secretions and do not use tampons. If bleeding is scanty (enough daily pads) and last no more than 2 days, then everything is in order. For any other changes, consult your doctor.
I am pregnant, but I have a bloody discharge with an unpleasant odor. What is it?
Unpleasant odor in the discharge is always a sign of inflammation. The inflamed mucous membrane of the vagina or cervix is easily damaged, resulting in pink or brown discharge. Be sure to consult a doctor and pass a smear on the flora. Any inflammatory diseases during pregnancy can threaten the health of your unborn baby.
When can spotting threaten pregnancy?
Seek immediate medical attention if:
- spotting accompanied by severe lower abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting
- bleeding is bright red or scarlet
- spotting come out with lumps or pieces of tissue
- you had a swoon, or there was a headache, weakness, dizziness, your skin turned pale and the pulse increased
The above symptoms in early pregnancy can talk about serious conditions: ectopic pregnancy, gallbladder or miscarriage.
What is an ectopic pregnancy?
In an ectopic pregnancy, the fetus does not develop in the uterus, as it should be, but in other organs. Most often, it is the fallopian tube, but it can also attach to the cervix, ovary, or peritoneum. According to statistics, every 60 pregnancies are ectopic. On our website there is an article dedicated to ectopic pregnancy and its treatment.
Symptoms of ectopic pregnancy:
- appearance of bloody vaginal discharge
- severe pain in the lower abdomen or in the side
- fainting, headache, paleness of the skin and rapid pulse are signs of internal bleeding
- nausea, vomiting
What should be done in this situation?
Seek medical attention immediately or call an ambulance.
What is a miscarriage?
Miscarriage is a spontaneous abortion, or spontaneous abortion. Approximately 15-20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage for up to 12 weeks. Symptoms of miscarriage:
- bleeding from the vagina
- cramping pain in the lower abdomen (usually stronger than during menstruation)
- vaginal discharge in the form of lumps or pieces of tissue
Most miscarriages cannot be prevented. Miscarriage - is the body's reaction to an abnormal pregnancy, or to stop the development of the fetus. (missed abortion). Miscarriage does not mean that you are not healthy or that you will not be able to have children in the future. The most common cause of miscarriage is fetal abnormality. That is, the body gets rid of the fetus, which will die sooner or later, or has already died.
What should be done in this situation?
Seek medical attention immediately or call an ambulance.
What is a bubble skid?
Bladder dislocation is a dangerous complication of pregnancy, in which there is no embryo in the uterus, or only certain embryo tissues are present. The cystic skid may degenerate into a malignant tumor, chorionepithelioma, dangerous to the life of a woman.
Bladder skid is the rarest cause of bleeding during pregnancy (approximately 1 in 1,200 pregnancies is complicated by a bubble skid). Often a bubble skid develops in women over 35 years old, and in women over 40 years the risk of blistering increases by 5-10 times. However, no one is immune from blistering and therefore you should always be alert.
Symptoms of blistering:
- Monthly at late pregnancy or spotting?
Monthly on the 1st month of pregnancy
To say whether a situation is normal when menstruation occurs during pregnancy, it is necessary to pay attention to the duration of the pregnancy.
The fact is that in the first month of pregnancy the periods are quite common and normal. Fertilization usually occurs in the middle of the cycle, the fertilized egg may not yet reach the desired place (it usually takes 7-14 days), the hormonal background does not undergo significant changes, the body continues to function as before, menstruation comes, and the woman often does not suspect that it is already monthly during pregnancy.
Important: Thus, monthly periods in early pregnancy, namely in the first month of pregnancy, are not a cause for concern.
Monthly on the 2nd month of pregnancy
Beginning with the second month of pregnancy, the periods should already stop. However, in some situations that are no longer the norm, monthly during pregnancy are possible in later periods.
Monthly during pregnancy are possible, for example, due to the low level of estrogen hormones in the body of a pregnant woman. Their deficiency causes bleeding at the very time when menstruation would begin. Currently, many women have hormonal disorders, so the situation when menstruation during the pregnancy continues for the first 3-4 months is also quite common.
And although hormonal imbalance during pregnancy is not the norm, the resulting periods during pregnancy are not dangerous for the fetus, they will not affect the formation and development of its organs and systems.
Late understanding of the problem
It is much more dangerous in this situation that the ongoing periods in early pregnancy in many cases lead to the fact that the woman does not think about a possible pregnancy. Strong toxicosis in early pregnancy is likely to make a woman suspect pregnancy and consult a doctor.
However, if menstruation comes regularly and pregnancy proceeds quite easily, a woman can write off her slight discomfort to any other causes and health problems and start taking medications to fight an imaginary disease, whereas during pregnancy this can be very fetus hurt
In addition, unaware of pregnancy, women continue their former way of life, possibly with considerable physical exertion, smoking, etc., which can also adversely affect the health of the unborn child. Thus, sexually active women can be advised to follow more closely the changes in their body, remember that menstruation and pregnancy are not always mutually exclusive concepts, and that pregnancy can also be determined by other signs of pregnancy, lack of menstruation is far away not the only indicator.
The appearance of bleeding, similar to menstruation, at a late gestational age (after 3-4 months), as a rule, already clearly indicates serious problems and cannot be written off to menstruation during pregnancy. Bleeding at these stages of pregnancy can be caused by placenta previa or abruption, as well as many other causes associated with gynecological diseases or injuries of the genital organs. In many cases, this poses a significant threat to pregnancy, so the visit to the doctor should be prompt.
Monthly at late pregnancy or spotting?
Important: In general, during pregnancy, any bleeding at any time when the pregnancy is already established is a reason to consult a doctor.
The doctor will conduct the necessary examinations and give appropriate recommendations, as well as determine whether such a situation is dangerous or not. It should also be borne in mind here that menstruation during pregnancy is not always just menstruation. For menstruation may be taken bleeding, indicating a more serious pathology - the threat of miscarriage.
How to distinguish between menstruation during pregnancy and dangerous bleeding? Monthly during pregnancy is always insignificant and painless. They can even appear only when a woman moves and disappear at night, for example. The bleeding, indicating a threat of miscarriage, as a rule, is accompanied by a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, heaviness in the abdomen, back pain, and the threat of miscarriage can also be indicated by the fact that abundant bleeding occurs suddenly and rather sharply.
With such symptoms, you no longer need to simply consult a doctor, but call an ambulance. Well, taking into account that such dangerous bleeding may not always be accompanied by similar symptoms, which means that they can easily be confused with menstruation during pregnancy, you should consult a doctor in any of these cases and as soon as possible.
What is monthly
According to the laws of the female body, the menstrual cycle ends with uterine bleeding. If heavy discharge does not come, it is possible that the woman is in an “interesting position." With delayed menstruation, thoughts of unexpected or planned motherhood come to mind. However, it happens that the pregnancy has come, but critical days have come anyway. This is possible even after successful conception, but the nature of the discharge reduces its profusion, intensity. It is better to consult a gynecologist, find out the possible consequences for the health of the mother and child.
Can there be monthly during pregnancy
This question interests many future mummies, especially those who are preparing for the first time for motherhood. In the period of childbearing this is real, and is explained by the insufficient production of the hormone progesterone in the blood by the corpus luteum. With an increase in the term, the indicator ideally should increase, and then the fetal development of the embryo is not in danger. Otherwise, the probability of abortion is already high in the early stages. In addition, we should not exclude the following clinical picture: a weak embryo can not attach to the uterine mucosa, so rejection occurs.
If the monthly during pregnancy in the early stages have appeared, it can take several hours - a day, are distinguished by scarcity and unusual color. If after a couple of days everything stopped, you can not panic, but still visit the gynecologist. Monthly at late terms of gestation, regardless of the intensity and duration, eloquently indicate a progressive pathology. A pregnant woman should respond to such disturbing symptoms in a timely manner. In any case, the question of whether menstruation can occur during pregnancy has an unambiguously affirmative answer.
What do they look like
Most often it is scarlet discharge, which is also called "smearing". However, there are also brown blood clots that go partially. In the latter case, this may be a sign of rejection of the endometrium, as a dangerous pathological process. Monthly when carrying a fruit go neobilno - short intervals. They are easy to distinguish from the usual uterine bleeding. Pregnancy with menstruation is pathological, it requires immediate medical participation as soon as the first symptoms appear.
Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages
The appearance of menstrual bleeding during gestation in the first trimester is an alarming sign for the future mom. The delay of menstruation is easy to explain the successful process of fertilization of the egg, but the appearance of abnormal discharge may indicate that the corpus luteum is rejected. In addition, this phenomenon is not excluded with hormonal disorders, diseases of the endocrine system in pregnant women. Other causes of minor bleeding that accompany pregnancy and menstruation at the same time are:
- long-term use of hormonal drugs,
- progressive ectopic pregnancy
- early miscarriage
- embryo death in one of the trimesters.
Scanty periods as a sign of pregnancy
If menstruation has appeared during pregnancy, it is possible that this is a planned period of implantation of the embryo, which is not considered a pathology and may be accompanied by bleeding. It lasts from 7 to 15 days, while it is not accompanied by hormonal changes in the female body. In the future, with minor discharge, which does not stop, it is required to be on the alert, voice your suspicions to the local gynecologist. Such a symptom may be a sign of ectopic pregnancy, but doctors suggest other diagnoses.
If a woman does not know about her “interesting position”, scanty periods are a clear symptom. In this case, the test can give a false negative answer - one strip. This is due to the short period and insufficient concentration of sex hormones, as an option - progesterone. In such cases, it is required to control the onset of menstruation, and after its completion, wait and perform a repeated home study. It is possible that the tests will be positive.
What are dangerous menstruation during pregnancy
The rejection of fetal eggs, as the main cause of menstruation during gestation, is preceded by impaired hormones, female internal diseases, strong physical exertion and emotional distress. If 9 months will be in a state of stress, it is possible that menstruation will appear at an early period. There is no need to talk about its calm course and normal birth in such a clinical picture, it is important to find out from a doctor how to save the life of an unborn child. If there were monthly during pregnancy, the dangerous reasons may be:
- detachment of the ovum,
- the threat of miscarriage in the early period and pathological delivery in 2 and 3 trimesters,
- profuse bleeding with progressive anemia,
- ectopic pregnancy,
- genetic embryo disorders
- bad heredity
- social and household factor.
Can monthly go during pregnancy
It is worth noting immediately that menstruation during pregnancy is impossible for physiological reasons. To understand this will help understanding the process of conception. From school, girls know that menstruation is the result of detachment of an unfertilized egg: every month the female reproductive system produces a new cell. If the pregnancy does not occur during the ovulation period, the endometrium (tissue of the uterus walls) begins to shrink, pushing the egg cell to give place to a new one over time. There are blood discharge, with which it exfoliates.
If the girl became pregnant, then the physiological processes inside the uterus occur differently: so that the endometrium stops shrinking and does not push the fertilized egg out, the special hormone progesterone is secreted by the ovaries. Thanks to its action, the tissue lining the uterus grows, becomes thicker, and then the fetus will be able to gain a firm hold inside the organ. In addition, progesterone protects the embryo from endometrial contractions, which, with an abnormal hormonal balance, can cause a miscarriage. Menstruation during pregnancy does not occur.
In the second and third trimester
If there is something resembling menstruation, during pregnancy in late periods (second, third trimester), a woman should definitely go to see a specialist. On such a period of discharge are not considered the norm and can serve as alarming bells of serious pathologies in the body. Послужить сильному отходу крови красного или коричневого цвета могут воспалительные процессы, отслойка плаценты, преждевременны роды, выкидыш, внематочная беременность. Если присутствуют болезненные ощущения, нельзя откладывать поездку к врачу, а желательно вызвать скорую.
Causes of menstruation during early pregnancy
Spotting during pregnancy can be caused by a number of reasons. To establish the exact genesis of such a failure can only be a doctor. It is necessary to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Early bleeding during pregnancy can be a harbinger of dangerous conditions, including miscarriage, so hurry to visit the gynecologist and make sure that nothing dangerous happens to the body and nothing threatens the fetus. Consider the "harmless" causes of menstruation during pregnancy.
Implantable blood flow
The fertilized egg, advancing through the fallopian tube and ends its way, screwing into the uterine lining. After this, the egg cell becomes an embryo. This may damage the capillaries at the site of blastocyst insertion. Discharge pinkish or brown, scanty, pass for several hours, less often can last more than a day. Such discharge is observed in 20-30% of women. A test with high sensitivity or an analysis of hCG will help establish itself in the intended pregnancy. The most accurate is the conclusion of the doctor.
The cause of menstruation during early pregnancy can be progesterone deficiency. In the case of hormonal disruption, there is bloody discharge, very similar to menstrual, on days when the cycle must be menstrual, but more meager. Possible discomfort. Hormones are stabilized by drugs prescribed by the gynecologist. Expectant mothers on such days need more rest and get positive emotions.
After an examination by a gynecologist or after intercourse, discharge may appear that resemble regulation. This is due to the fact that the pregnant woman has increased blood flow to the genitals, and the vessels of the vaginal walls are highly susceptible to mechanical damage. Such secretions are not dangerous. There is no treatment, the bleeding will pass in a short time.
Two eggs in one cycle
When using drugs that stimulate ovulation in young healthy women, there is a simultaneous release of two eggs. Especially often this phenomenon occurs if there were multiple pregnancies in the genus. When only one of the two eggs is fertilized and implants in the uterine wall, and the second remains “out of work” and is excreted, there are scant menstrual periods during early pregnancy. Discharge is weak, but may be accompanied by symptoms characteristic of menstruation.
Fertilization before menstruation
Maximum fertility and ovulation - the only possible time for fertilization of the egg by the sperm. This period falls in the middle of the cycle. The last days before the month are considered safe from the conception position. Due to weak hormonal disruptions ovulation can occur immediately before the start of menstruation. The fertilized egg continues to move along the tube, and the endometrium has already begun detachment and elimination. Monthly in early pregnancy comes earlier than the planned date, the duration is faster, scarce, darker or lighter than usual.
Hazardous bleeding in early pregnancy
In addition to causes that do not pose a threat to the fetus, menstruation can be caused by a number of dangerous critical pathologies. Each of these disorders represents a threat not only to the normal development of the child, but also the life of the expectant mother. Frequently, time counts by minutes. The elimination of these conditions is carried out in a hospital.
Abundant periods at the beginning of pregnancy with clots are a precursor to miscarriage. They indicate endometrial detachment. With its tissues, a tiny embryo can easily be brought out. Endometrial detachment is caused by a lack of progesterone. Hormonal background is quickly and effectively corrected by synthetic or herbal medicines. With timely treatment for medical help the fetus can be saved.
A miscarriage can also occur in the case of genetic defects, fetal abnormalities, or if it has stopped developing (stopped). Abundant periods can be a sign of miscarriage. A woman feels weakness, dull pain in the lower abdomen. If these symptoms appear, you should immediately seek medical help. Timely diagnosis and timely treatment will help preserve women's health and reproductive functions.
Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages - a reason for an extraordinary visit to the gynecologist. Particular vigilance is caused by discharge, having an unpleasant smell, contain clots, darker or lighter than during normal periods. When menstruation begins during pregnancy in the early stages, one should immediately seek medical assistance if, in addition to secretions, it is recorded:
- aching, cutting, or cramping pain in the lower abdomen,
- severe nausea, vomiting,
- high blood pressure
- pathological pallor
- loss of consciousness.
Can there be monthly during pregnancy?
To answer the question, refresh the knowledge of the physiology of women. Once a month, the ovary necessary for fertilization ripens in the ovary. If conception did not occur, it collapses, the functional layer of the endometrium is rejected, and bloody discharges arise. If conception has occurred, the organism is prepared for implantation of the embryo, rearranging the hormonal background. In the uterus, the functional layer is not rejected, and menstruation during pregnancy stops.
Where does the blood come from then? With progesterone deficiency (progesterone is a hormone) on days when menstruation starts on schedule, bleeding occurs. This phenomenon is called "false menstruation." Sometimes bleeding goes 3-4 months, although the ovum develops in the uterus.
Cyclical bleeding misleads the woman. She does not even suspect that she is expecting a baby, and learns about pregnancy too late. This is dangerous for mom and child, because a woman, not knowing that she is expecting a child, continues to lead a normal life: doing hard work, eating improperly, drinking alcohol, taking medicines that are not recommended during pregnancy. It is difficult to establish the term of childbirth, sometimes a woman finds out that she will have a child at 4-5 months, when it is impossible to terminate the pregnancy.
Even intensive false menstruation does not affect the development of the fetus and the embryo: the baby will not be born sick or underdeveloped. But if the cause of bleeding lies not in hormonal disorders, but in organic causes, it is difficult to inform the child.
If the bleeding occurs because the fertilized egg has been implanted outside the endometrium of the uterus (ectopic pregnancy), the fetus is removed to save the woman. Sometimes the oviduct and ovary are removed.
Abundant periods during pregnancy
Abundant periods during pregnancy
In the first month of pregnancy, menstruation may be abundant or scanty. It depends on the hormonal background of the woman. In the future, the release of blood stops. If this does not happen, you should consult a doctor and find out the cause of menstrual bleeding.
Blood during pregnancy is caused by:
- starting or threatening miscarriage, including those caused by progesterone deficiency. Sometimes a hormonal imbalance during pregnancy is manifested by abundant false menses,
- hormonal deficiency, in which there are heavy menstrual bleeding,
- missed abortion when the embryo develops with a delay or has died. This condition occurs when congenital developmental abnormalities of the embryo, severe hereditary pathologies or increased uterine tone. More often, the fetus "freezes" at the 3-4th, 7-8th, 16-18th weeks.
- placental abruption, in which the "baby seat" is separated from the walls of the uterus. The excreted blood flows out through the genital tract or remains under the placenta, causing new bleeding,
- with multiple pregnancies, one embryo may not develop or die. This is also accompanied by bleeding.
- placenta previa when it is located close to the fallopian pharynx. As the fetus grows and bleeding occurs, which the expectant mother takes for heavy periods,
- pathologies of the uterus in which the course of pregnancy is difficult: single-horned, two-horned, saddle-shaped or childish,
- endometriosis and benign tumors of the endometrium and myometrium, including: myoma, fibromyoma, cyst, polyps. In these diseases, menstrual bleeding during pregnancy is not uncommon,
- bleeding occurs when overstrain, stress and at elevated temperature, leading to hormonal disruption, increased uterine tone, miscarriage, or "fading" the development of the embryo.
With menstruation it is easy to confuse the abundant bleeding that occurs during ectopic pregnancy. Miscarriage follows the principle of tubal abortion. A large amount of dark blood with fragments of the deductive membrane will stand out from the genital tract.
An urgent need to consult a doctor if heavy bleeding during pregnancy is accompanied by:
- severe pulling or cutting pains in the lower, right or left abdomen,
- nausea, drooling, vomiting,
- fainting, severe headache, weakness, dizziness, skin paleness and increased heart rate,
Excessive bleeding is a cause for serious concern. Without the use of emergency measures, the fetus faces intrauterine death, and the woman - serious blood loss. Ectopic and missed abortion require urgent surgical treatment.
How to distinguish between periods during pregnancy from normal
How to distinguish between periods during pregnancy from normal
The duration and intensity of bleeding varies, the woman realizes that changes occur in the body. False menstruation is caused by other reasons not related to the mechanism of normal menstruation:
- The menstrual cycle changes - shortened or lengthened, sometimes bleeding occurs twice a month.
- Allocation becomes scarce, there is a "daub" or light pink whites. Sometimes there is bright scarlet or dark red blood with clots or mucous debris of the deductive membrane.
- The number of critical days also changes. False periods end 1-2 days earlier, but sometimes, on the contrary, a woman bleeds for a week.
- There are no symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. After critical days, the mammary glands remain enlarged, and the swelling does not pass.
- In some cases, false monthly is difficult to distinguish from physiological. In doubtful cases will help the use of a pregnancy test or blood donation for HCG - human chorionic gonadotropin.
Pregnancy is correctly diagnosed by a doctor on ultrasound. The state of the placenta and fetal membranes, the place of attachment of the embryo and the approximate date of birth are determined.
Monthly, no matter what month they start - a good reason to visit a gynecologist, even if nothing hurts and the pregnancy proceeds easily. Hoping for "maybe", you can skip ectopic and frozen pregnancies, miscarriages, vesicular skid, presentation of placenta and detachment. You should not make a diagnosis yourself. To determine the cause of menstrual bleeding can only a doctor. The gynecologist will conduct an examination and, if necessary, prescribe a surgical or conservative treatment.